Expert labour law services
Labour and Employment are complex aspects of South African law. Companies of all sizes should not underestimate the importance of obtaining specialist legal assistance on labour law matters.
With a growing body of labour legislation, legal advice must be accurate and up-to-date. One must also ensure that the correct contractual and labour policy documents are in place. At Lilram Attorneys, we keep abreast of new developments in labour law. As a result, business owners increasingly seek our services.
Over the years, we have represented both sides in the employment relationship, i.e. the employer and the employee. This has given us the distinct advantage of predicting what argument the other side will raise.
We pride ourselves on being able to offer our clients an extensive range of labour-related services.
The forums we appear at:
- CCMA / Bargaining Councils
- Labour Court
- Labour Appeal Court
We can confidently handle a matter from inception (at the disciplinary hearing stage) and can successfully see it through the CCMA process, as well as further stages (e.g. labour appeal court) if required.
Our experience at these forums includes:
- Conciliation, Con-Arb, Arbitration
- Consolidation Applications (where several employees have referred a matter against the same employer)
- Lodging review applications at Labour Court
- Labour litigation on s197 transfer matters
- Labour litigation on restraint of trade matters
- Appealing costs orders awarded in the Labour Court
What we offer employers:
- Advice on managing grievances, discipline (misconduct) and incapacity (work performance)
- Advice on suspensions
- Advice on how to avoid unfair dismissal disputes
- Drafting Charge Sheets against employees
- Chairing disciplinary hearings/inquiries
- Assistance with the administration of polygraph tests
- Drafting employment contracts, including restraint of trade clauses
- Drafting letters of appointment, suspension and dismissal
- Mutual separation agreements
- Managing unfair discrimination disputes
- Drafting labour codes and workplace policies
- Drawing policy and procedure manuals for all levels of staff (managers and junior employees)
- In-house training on all aspects of employment law
- Assistance with retrenchments, restructuring and organisational development
- Assistance with strikes, picketing and lock-outs
What we offer employees:
Advisory consultations for the following:
- Preparation for disciplinary hearings/inquiries
- Mutual separation agreements and legal advice on settlement offers
- Unfair dismissal
- Unfair suspension
- Unfair demotion
- Unfair discrimination (including promotion disputes)
- Unfair retrenchment
- Sexual harassment
- Constructive dismissal
- Unfair unilateral changes in the terms of employment
Contact Lilram Attorneys for all your labour law requirements. Simply fill in the form below and we will get in touch.